We at Middlesex are committed to working with our students on how to live healthy, successful lives as they negotiate the tricky waters of adolescence. In 9th grade, we had evening discussion groups in“Choices” to discuss issues concerning health and wellness, personal relationships, stress, sexuality, drugsand alcohol. As 10th graders, these discussions in small groups continue to be effective as they participate in a 3 session course called “Connections.” Each session will be led by male and female faculty volunteers and take place in faculty homes or other comfortable spaces around campus from 7:30 – 8:30pm.
Connections Overview – Sample Agenda
- Ground rules and goals
- GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER
- Would you rather…?
- Highs and lows
- High and low moment from last school year: in pairs then shared to group
- WHAT IS WELLNESS?
- I feel happy when…
- I feel healthy when…
- Friendships / relationships
- “Connection Contact”
- Over the course of the week each student should have a guided (scripted) conversation with a member of the class he or she does not know well.
- WE BELONG TO EACH OTHER
- What does that mean?
- What do we owe? What are we owed?- Scenarios
- Students evaluate realistic high school scenarios
- Come up with a Connections mantra