Frequently Asked Questions for International Applicants
1. How do I schedule an interview?
All international applicants whose primary language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS, and those who wish to be interviewed must schedule an interview through Vericant. This policy does not apply to students who have attended an international school where English is the primary language of instruction for two or more years or a junior boarding school in the United States. Those applicants should refer to the Visit Us page for instructions on scheduling an interview. As a reminder, an interview is not required at Middlesex.
2. How much is your 2022-2023 boarding tuition for international students?
The boarding fee is $69,280 for domestic and international students. Additional expenses include the cost of books ($1,000) and health care coverage for international students ($3,000) and optional spending allowances, which vary by family.
3. Who is required to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
ALL international applicants whose primary language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. You are exempt from this policy if you have studied in an international school in which English is the language of instruction for more than two years. Middlesex accepts the IELTS Indicator, TOEFL IBT
4. What are your minimum scores for TOEFL, IELTS, and SSAT?
While we do not have “minimum acceptable scores,” typically the most successful applicants score better than 105 on the TOEFL or 7.5 on the IELTS. The SSAT median percentile is typically in the mid to high 80’s, with international students scoring higher on the mathematics sub-test.
5. Do you have an ESL program?
We do not have an ESL program. To be considered for admissions, applicants must already be very proficient in English.
6. Do you have a cap for international students or students coming from the same country?
We do not have targets, quotas, or caps on the enrollment of any students from any one country; geographic diversity within our population is important to us.
7. When are the dorms closed?
Dorms close during Thanksgiving (November), Winter (December/January), and Spring (March) breaks. See our calendar for specific dates. Dorms remain open for all long weekends.
8. When the campus is closed, does the school make any arrangements for international students such as homestays or host families?
It is the family’s obligation to arrange for home stays, guardians, or hosts. Middlesex may be able to assist families in finding programs.
9. Do you have a summer program?
10. How can I receive more information?