- How do I apply to Middlesex?
Students have two choices when applying to Middlesex. You may apply through the Standard Application Online (SAO) or the Gateway to Prep Schools. For more information, please visit How to Apply Page. We have no preference between the SAO and Gateway; please choose the platform that works best for you.
- What is your application deadline? Do you accept late applications?
The application deadline for entry in September 2020 is January 31, 2020. We do accept late applications, but please call our office at 978-371-6524 if you are applying in February or later. In most recent years, we have admitted a few students in the late spring or summer.
- How many new students do you typically enroll each year?
In most years we enroll approximately 110 new students: 85 ninth graders, 20 tenth graders, and 5 eleventh graders. We expect the total school enrollment for 2019-20 to be around 410 students.
- Are interviews required?
An-on campus interview is highly encouraged but not required. Domestic students from outside of New England who are unable to travel to campus may arrange a Skype or phone interview with an admission officer. Students living overseas should follow the instructions for International Students.
- Can I schedule an informal visit during the year or summer before the year I intend to apply?
Yes, we do offer informal tours and “chats” with admission officers on a limited schedule between mid-April to mid-August. The student does, however, need to be at least a rising 8thgrader in the fall of 2019 in order to receive a guided tour.
- Is it possible to meet with a teacher or coach of an area that interests me when I visit Middlesex for my interview?
Yes, we will try our best to accommodate a conversation but we do ask that you make this request when you schedule your appointment.
- How important is the SSAT (or ISEE, PSAT, or SAT) in the process?
Standardized testing is just one part of the academic credentials; typically a student’s grades, teacher recommendations, strength of program, and potential impact on our community are weighed more heavily than the testing.
- I don’t know my current teachers that well. Can I submit a recommendation from a previous teacher instead?
Middlesex requires recommendations from your current year teachers of mathematics and English and school counselor or advisor. While not required, you are welcome to ask a prior year teacher to submit a recommendation letter to [email protected].
- Do you have an Open House?
Yes, we invite you to attend our Open House on Saturday, October 5. Please email [email protected] for more information.
- Will applying for financial aid effect my chances for admission?
It can. While 34 percent of our student body will receive financial aid in 2019-20, with an average grant of over $49,000, we are not able to meet the need of all deserving students. For this reason, each year a small number of students will be placed on the waiting list. We encourage you to read more information on the financial aid process.
- Do you give merit scholarships?
No, all financial aid is based on our assessment of a family’s financial resources. Income and expenses, family size, and the number of children attending private schools and colleges are the primary drivers of our assessment.